A full anti-harassment policy has been adopted by Ytterbium. The full version of which can be found here.
Ytterbium is only open to members who have attending memberships, day memberships or other passes issued by the convention. All members must wear their badge while in the convention space, in a way that makes it clearly visible. All members must be able to present their badge when challenged by convention staff and volunteers. The person to whom a badge is issued is responsible for it’s use. Badges are not transferable and if a badge is lost, there will be a small charge to cover administration.
Children at the convention
Children aged 6 and older must have a purchased child membership or day membership for the convention, while children under 5 must be registered as infants. All children under 12 must be accompanied by a responsible guardian.
All children registered as Junior members may move around the convention and can participate in items appropriate to their age. If a Junior member is being disruptive or they are attempting to gain access to age inappropriate activities, their Junior status will be downgraded to Child and they will be required to be accompanied at all times by a responsible guardian. The decision to downgrade will be taken by a committee member and the decision is final.
General Rating of the Convention
All convention areas are open to members of all ages, with the exception of events, exhibits or items that are specifically noted to be inappropriate for minors and to which access is controlled.
Privacy, Photographs, and Electronic Recordings
Please be aware that photography, video and/or audio recordings are frequently made by Ytterbium during proceedings. The likenesses of convention attendees and members may appear in those recordings. Attendees and members agree to assign without compensation the use of their likeness in promotional material.
Please be polite and ask before taking photographs or recordings of members and attendees whenever possible. Video and audio recording and photography for personal archival use only is generally acceptable, unless individuals make it clear that they do not wish to be photographed or recorded, either by wearing a ‘no photography’ badge or by any other means. In that case, any specific photography or recording of them is expressly forbidden. Anyone who persists in filming/recording/photographing Ytterbium members who have denied their consent will be expelled from the convention.
This Code of Conduct applies equally to use of social media such as (but not limited to) Facebook and Twitter. Online harassment of, or prejudiced conduct towards, another member of the convention will be treated in the same way as face-to-face misconduct.
Members of the press are expected to abide by this Code of Conduct and also by our Press Policy which can be found here.
Sales of Merchandise
The offering for sale of any merchandise at the convention may be undertaken only in designated spaces with permission from the convention.
Anyone who owes an outstanding balance to Ytterbium (e.g. outstanding payment on a membership instalment plan or dealer table rental) must settle that balance before being permitted to attend the convention.
Smoking is not allowed in any public buildings, including the convention spaces, restaurants and bars. This includes the smoking of e-cigarettes.
- Pets: with the exception of assistance dogs, pets are not allowed in the hotel.
- Alcohol: the Real Ale and Cider Bar will be serving Real Ale and Cider in the Red Conference Centre. The Lounge Bar at the front of the hotel will serving alcohol. Members may take these drinks into all parts of the convention with the exception of the Art Show and the Marketplace rooms.
- The legal drinking age in UK is 18. Members under the age of 25 may be asked to produce photo ID at any point.
- Signs: signs can be put up in the convention areas of the hotel, as long as they are laminated and only stuck with White Tak. The Committee has a limited number of sign stands that can be deployed around the rest of the hotel.
No actual weapon, or any item that can be mistaken for one, may be carried either openly or concealed at any time on properties being used for Ytterbium, with the following exceptions:
- If you want to carry a weapon or are unsure whether your weapon might be considered realistic, you must present it to Operations. They are the final arbiter of whether the item may be carried and whether it requires peace-bonding.
- Any actual weapon, or any item that can be mistaken for one, that you have purchased in the Marketplace must be wrapped and immediately transported to your hotel room or vehicle. If you want to carry the item at the convention, please refer to the previous point.
- If an actual weapon, or any item that can be mistaken for one, is part of your Masquerade costume, you must transport it to and from the staging area wrapped securely unless the item is peace-bonded. The Masquerade director must approve your use of any weapons during the Masquerade Ball.
- Live steel is prohibited under all circumstances. Operations are the final arbiter of what constitutes live steel.
- Any weapon, whether actual, realistic, or toy/prop, that is used in a threatening or harmful manner may result in confiscation of the item and/or removal of your membership or pass without refund.
- The only allowable variation to this policy will be for any convention scheduled programme demonstrations and sanctioned activities in designated areas at specific times, which have been risk assessed.
Failure to adhere to any of the above policies is grounds for the removal of your membership or pass without refund.
Ytterbium reserves the right to amend these rules at any time without prior or posted notice and reserves the sole right of interpretation.
Please keep in mind that these rules involve, of course, “worst-case” scenarios and are put in place to ensure the safety and comfort of our members. They are not all-inclusive; in all cases, the singular rule that supersedes all others is:
Any action or behaviour that:
- is illegal, or
- causes significant interference with convention operations or excessive discomfort to other attendees, or
- adversely affects Ytterbium’s relationship with its guests, its venue, or the public
- is strictly forbidden and may result in revocation of membership and/or attendance privileges.